Monday, February 8, 2010

"I'm bored..."

Probably the most foolish two words a ten year old boy can mutter in the presence of his mom on a summer afternoon... At our house, if you didn't have your wits about you and decreed such a statement out loud, it guaranteed time in the yard pulling weeds. Artists should never be bored. We should always be working on something -- be it a commission, heading outdoors to paint, cleaning the studio, promoting our work or filling up pages in the 'ol sketchbook. Of course when at all possible draw from life, but if a live model is unavailable, doodle off the top of your head or from photos in the magazines lying about the house.

Doodles from magazines and/or imagination


Like painting, it's about the mileage -- whether it's a successful painting or not, you learn and grow from each experience. With sketchbooks, you're honing your drawing skills, recording ideas & reference and providing yourself a journal of progress all at the same time. And it's a personal thing -- doodling in your sketchbook can be a relaxing past time because there are generally no rules, no deadlines and no one looking over your shoulder (unless you're doing it in public).




studio models

A couple of famous painters both told me, "Work on 'starts' and don't worry about the finishes...they'll come on their own". That's what drawing in sketchbooks is like -- a lot of starts that ultimately contribute to my progress as a painter. So if you ever feel bored, draw -- it's the foundation of everything you create...and it definitely beats pulling weeds.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Eric,

    I checked out your website and found the link to this Blog! I definitely will be watching what you are up to.

    You can also go on my blog and read all my Lukits stories. ACtually...it might be hard to find the label. I'll send you a link at some point.
    I have enjoyed your illustration work and I am excited seeing you grow as a gallery artist.

    God bless.... and as Lukits taught me..Faith in God and Confidence in your abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps..... where in the heck is Tigard Oregon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Frank --

    I'm looking at your work more and more, and I'll look for your Lukits posts too -- Solliday took me to see a small showing of Lukits' paintings when I first met Tim in 99(?) Anyway, to answer your question, Tigard is near Portland, only sounds more interesting...God bless you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eric--these are such good sketches! I can't agree more about your "work ethic"! ---Your commitment to your work is ALWAYS apparent. Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reminders thanks.
    Love the new painting, ordered the frame today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice about sketchbooks. I've never been bored since I started carrying one around. I've admired your work around town. I'm glad to see you've started a blog.

    ReplyDelete